Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Guest Blogger: Kristy

Kristy is a friend of mine from HS and though she does not share the same genetic fate as I, she does share a love of running.

You can check her out at: http://breathofsunshine.wordpress.com/

Why I run?
While running has always been a part of my life since I ran my first one mile race at the age of 8, it has only been a consistent hobby for the past three years. After three short years, I can’t imagine life without it. 
I run for all the obvious reason: health, physical strength, mental sanity. 

Besides all the obvious reasons, and what came as a huge surprise, is how settled running has made me with life. Running makes me content. After a quick three miles with the jogging stroller or a long 14 mile on the trails, I always feel satisfied. Not just with the run but with life. Running provides both physical and mental space for me to think, to process, and to let go of stress. Running provides me with quiet.

Being a working mom of a (almost) 10 month old and an 8 year old, life is busy. It can be chaotic. Juggling commuting, working, school, homework, preparing baby food, washing diapers, planning dinners, incorporating swim practices and meets, and big hopes of running a marathon this spring, by the time I stop moving at the end of the night, I have a few moments to spend time with my husband before I fall asleep.

Running gives me back a small space in my life. It is mine. It’s the one time during a week I can be selfish and not feel guilty. At the end of each run, I come back to the chaos ready to tackle each and every hurdle life throws at me.

Like all things in life, running evolves to meet ever single need I have (even if I don’t know it). It started with my first half marathon. Somewhere inside of me, there was a girl who doubted herself. I learned to keep her quiet thanks to the race. A 17 mile training run in the pour rain showed me how much fun life can be when it is embraced. Instead of trying to avoid every huge puddle, I ran right through them. To this day, it is my favorite run. Running pregnant gave me strength to truly embrace my body. It made me feel strong and powerful even when my body wasn’t strong or powerful.

Right now I’m at the point where I’m slowly learning that I really underestimate myself. I’m learning that I can push further and faster and harder and stronger. I’m learning that I’m the only one who limits me and my abilities (in both life and running).


Why do I run? I run because it is the best way to expose vulnerability and overcome it. I run because it truly has taught me (and continues to teach me) everything I need to know about life. I run because I love it. It makes me smile and that translates to every aspect of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment