Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

So much to take in. . .

Obviously my mind has been on the life changing news I received recently. My efforts are now focused on prevention, though I have scheduled my consult with a surgeon. At first, I needed to digest. Now, I am ready to fight. I am doing a lot of research about my diet and its affect on my risk for cancer. The medical field in general will not give you a definitive answer about diet and how it affects us. But, it kind of makes sense that it does in fact effect our risks of all sorts of cancer. These are two of the books I just ordered, I hope to find them useful in this process.





I know I have to make changes and I am slowly gearing up for that. I am not going to go cold turkey, because I think that would be hard. I don't mean to sound like I eat a horrible diet, because I certainly do not. My issue is I eat a healthy diet but I still love to eat some not so healthy things. They are my temptations that I mostly avoid, but are still there. My least favorite thing to give up will be....dun dun dun.....soda. You all know how much I love me some Dr. Pepper. Recently, due to weight loss efforts, I swithed to diet soda (which I don't like as much but it'll do) and now I know that I need to stop that as well. Who knows what the risks of aspartame are and how they affect people like me. I guess it is a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

My major focus right now is just to lose weight, for a lot of reasons. Once I get back to my healthy pre-pregnancy weight, I think I'll be ready to ditch the diet soda and regular soda for good. Though, I am sure I'll indulge from time to time. Moderation is key in any lifestyle choices we make. The one area that I don't have to change or worry about is my activity level. I do enjoy to exercise and keep in shape and that in itself reduces my risk for cancer. At least I can mark one thing off the list. Next up, a healthy weight and an even healthier diet. I can do it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin, any support I can offer in this area, please let me know.
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out these documentaries: a beautiful truth, and food matters. They deal specifically with diet and cancer risk, the research of Dr. Max Gerson (very interesting stuff), as well as why you don't get much info on the matter from western medicine. Some of it is quite dramatic of course, but I think you'll appreciate the gist...
    Love you,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Laur. I might email you specifically with some other questions. Everyone you search on the internet is so conflicted and I never know how valid some of these "claims" are. I do know eating healthier with less processed foods is going to help maintain a healthy lifestyle. Thanks for your support :o)

    ReplyDelete